Ayurveda for jaundice – Everything you should know
Jaundice is a disease which is caused due to the pitta dosha. Under the influence of jaundice, the skin and the whiteness of eyes turns out to yellow. Jaundice has no place in the list of diseases in modern medicine. Somehow it is recognized as the symptoms of liver disorder like liver infection, cirrhosis, and gallstones of the liver.
Jaundice in Ayurveda is known as Kamala. Weakness, yellowish discoloration of the eyes, skin and nail, fatigue, drowsiness, lack of appetite, burning sensation in the body, excessive thirst, low-grade fever, and loss of libido are some of the basic symptoms of jaundice.
Boiled and spice less food with vegetable bile radish leaves, lemon and tomato are considered as the best food to be consumed in jaundice with dry fruits like almonds and cardamoms. To eliminate the excess bile pigments in blood from the body it is considered that one should barely consume water and replace the water consumption by sugar cane juice, orange juice, etc.
Complete rest and avoiding heat, sex and physical factors like anger and anxiety are stated in Ayurveda. Ayurveda also suggests some yoga asana for better recovery. The most helpful asanas are fish or Matsya Asana, shoulder stand or sarvang asana and the hidden lotus or baddhapadm asana.
Anyone suffering from jaundice should make a note of item he or she should avoid. The food which needs more bile produced by the liver to digest the food should be avoided for example junk food, rich carbohydrate food. Drink juice and boiled water and avoid non- pasteurized milk, coffee, tea, and alcohol. Spicy food, fried food, pulses, and legumes should be avoided.
The most common and simple home remedies which are evaluated by Ayurveda are
- The pulp of Indian aloe vera with black salt and ginger in morning for about ten days.
- A mixture of one glass water and one teaspoon roasted barley powder with one teaspoon of honey. This mixture is to be consumed twice a day.
- Consumption of crush ripe banana and some honey is also a very effective remedy for jaundice.
- Bhumi Amla is considered useful in promoting liver health and avoiding liver disorders It can be consumed in the form of juice or Churn with water or honey
- Jaundice can also be cured by consumption of the bael’s leaves powder mixed in a glass of water.
- Fresh Carrot juice several times a day is also a very good remedy.
- Roasted alum and some black pepper mixed in buttermilk and consumed at least thrice a day give good results.
- A glassful of radish juice containing one teaspoon of basil leaves pastes twice a day for at least 15 to 20 days.
- Consumption one fourth cup of mash bitter juice early morning daily.
- Take a glass of warm water and add a pinch of turmeric to it. Mix well and drink this three or four times a day.